In a not too distant past, the only method needed to sell your home, was to put up a ‘For Sale’ sign, put a couple of words into the local newspaper and wait for the phone to ring. Haven’t times changed!! Today we have internet listings, virtual tours, real estate lift outs and magazines, just to name a few. Whilst all of these methods may not be necessary to sell your property, it is important to know what will work for you and your property. The following tips may help you to achieve the best possible selling experience.
Ideas to boost your sale price:
How to select your agent:
- We live in a digital age, so good quality images of your property are imperative.
- Complete a ‘to-do-list’ of what needs to be done before buyers come through your property.
- Select the best possible agent to market your property.
- First impressions count and are a major influencing factor to a potential buyers opinion of your property.
- “Light is a sellers best friend”. If you don’t have enough, look for ways to create it.
- Buyers love big rooms, remember less is more. Keep it neat, simple and practical.
- Your properties street appearance can also influence buyers.
- Clear the clutter from kitchens, bathrooms & laundries.
- Try and not be present when buyers are inspecting your property.
- Let your property have the opportunity to breath, unpleasant smells can influence a buyer’s opinion of your property.
- Spend some time in the garden to create a neat and tidy yard.
How much is your property worth?
- First impressions count, can you see yourself selling your property with this agent?
- The best agents will ask you the right questions at the beginning, it’s your agenda not theirs. Your agent needs to understand your motivation.
- Your agent needs to be a skilled negotiator who is “cool under pressure, can hold their nerve and knows what to say and how to say it”.
- What kind of experience did you get from the agent you interviewed? Were you treated with respect and courtesy? You want a good experience when you sell your property and it’s important that you walk away feeling good about what just happened.
- Only hire the best! Your sale price will be determined by the skill of your agent, so hire the agents who pride themselves on getting the best results.
- It’s about achieving results….a real estate agent’s reputation is a major factor in their success. Helping you achieve a successful sale of your property helps them build a reputation that money can’t buy.
Your agent should be able to provide guidance of a likely selling range. The most reliable indication of value is in the form of recent comparable sales. When comparing your property to recent sales evidence, consider the following:
- How recently was the property sold? Sales evidence should be taken within the last 6 months to provide a reliable market indication of your properties worth.
- Is the sale located in a similar area to yours?
- Does the sale comprise a similar number of bedrooms and bathrooms?
- Is the sale in similar condition?
- Does it have any comparable features like a pool or view?
- Is the sale within a comparable proximity to services?
A common mistake sellers make, is pricing their property too high when they first go on the market. Today, buyers are quite informed on the state of the market and what properties listed for sale is likely to be worth.
Wood, R (2006) How To Sell Your Home For More, Noosa Heads, Australia